Friday, April 27, 2012

Final Stop of the North Face Masters Tour... Snowbird

Utah was the final stop of the North Face Masters Tour. The first day I arrived the temp was 74 in Salt Lake City, which put the mountain at about 65. The snow was slow and sticky. Thankfully registration day, a storm came through, and dumped snow through out the night.  Dumping enough snow to give us epic conditions for the event. Pow in April is nothing to complain about! All the athletes were fired up to put on a show.

Qualifier day was on Silver Fox, which is a pretty short face, riddled with fun lines. I chose to ride the North Shoot which has a mandatory exit. With the fresh snow I was slowed way down by the sluff which effected my score pretty huge. I stomped my landing and rode strong to the finish. I finished 6th which gave me a spot in the finals.

 North Way was the finals day venue. I felt a little stress knowing that I was in 1st going into this day on the tour. I wanted to pick a line that I knew would be a winning line if I could put A,B, and C together. Shannon Yates, a veteran in the competition scene, was sitting in second after Kirkwood. This was her home mountain which gave her the advantage. Qualifier day she rode a fast line, flawlessly! I knew I had my work cut out for me. Bottom-line I had to just think about myself and everything would pan out the way it's supposed to. 

I had a couple line choices one more difficult then the other. Both of which I felt could win the event. I chose to take the more difficult line which didn't work out in my favor. I rode fast and fluid through out the entire run other then a significant hesitation before a large drop. I had a small butt check which is always considered a loss of control. I did hit a couple more features which I landed with ease, which helped build my score but I knew would not be enough for a win. Even though I didn't ride my line like I wanted, I still had a blast!

 Finishing 4th, placed me 2nd overall on the North Face Masters Tour. Yahoo!

The Snowbird Ladies dominated the podium taking over all the top 3 spots. Shannon Yates taking the 1st place win and won her second overall title.Yeah Shannon!

Now that Spring is on I am looking forward to beach days and Mountain Biking with friends. I hope to travel for the snow this summer. I am happy to end healthy and with a very successful finish. We shall see where my future leads. My hope is to be invited on the Freeride World Tour.

I want to thank all my friends and family for all the support this season. Also to my sponsors Kirkwood Mountain Resort, Slick Willy's Banana Wax, US Air bag, O'Neill, Tahoe Moonshine Distillery, and UKY. 

Love and Light to all in this coming season. Enjoy the sunshine and get outside!

2012 North Face Masters Overall Tour Winners ~ Women

Rank Name Score
1. Shannan Yates 235
2. Casey Lucas 220
3. Laura Dewey 151


No comments:

Post a Comment